If you’ve got 15 minutes, that’s all it takes to stir up a batch of this Ridiculously Easy Chocolate Chip Shortbread. It’s sweet, buttery and, in addition to being ridiculously easy, it’s also ridiculously delicious!
This Ridiculously Easy Chocolate Chip Shortbread recipe had kind of highfalutin beginnings but that didn’t last long. It started out with a fabulous-looking chocolate chip shortbread recipe I found on the纽约时报烹饪网站。然而，我计划尝试食谱，但是，当我读取方向时（和很多评论），它看起来比我有时间的大量挑剔。看看你的想法......
The next step was: “Using a serrated knife, carefully slice each log into ½-inch-thick rounds (if you hit a chocolate chunk, slowly saw back and forth through the chocolate). If the cookies break or fall apart, just press them back together — the dough is very forgiving.” Yikes! That was it. Call me lazy, it’s fine, but all that was a little too much for 24 small round cookies in my mind.
BUT, I loved the idea of chocolate chip shortbread and decided that a delicious recipe could be achieved a lot quicker and with a lot less effort. It’s taken a few batches but, here you go! Ridiculously Easy Chocolate Chip Shortbread!
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways…
If you’re a regular here at The Café, just go ahead and skip to the next section as you know all about our Ridiculously Easy recipes. But we have lots of new readers every day so let me take a minute to explain.
Like that idea? Join the club! Warning though, it gets addicting!
Simple, everyday ingredients
You probably have most of the ingredients for this Easy Chocolate Chip Shortbread in your pantry or refrigerator. You’ll need butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, cornstarch, vanilla and salt. Oh, and some mini chocolate chips.
So fun for gifting
We love tucking the cookies in one of these cute little gift boxes and attaching the label for a beautiful presentation. Who wouldn’t be thrilled to find a gift like this in their mailbox, on their desk or perhaps waiting on their front step?
Need a dessert or a sweet treat but don’t have much time to fuss? This Ridiculously Easy Chocolate Chip Shortbread is sure to become one of those recipes you make again and again because it’s SO delicious and SO easy. Or should I say ridiculously delicious and ridiculously easy?!
Cafe Tips for making this Easy Chocolate Chip Shortbread
- You can soften the butter in the microwave on power level 10%. It works like magic! You’ll need to experiment a bit with your microwave though, as they’re all different. Start with 1 minute. Add 20 to 30-second increments until you learn how long your microwave will take to get the butter nice and soft, but not melted.
- Another technique I often use to soften butter is to put it in the microwave for a few hours with the light on. To keep the light on in the microwave I put a folded paper towel in the door.
- Cutting the butter into small pieces helps it soften quicker.
- Place the hard butter on a small plate. Fill a bowl with hot water. Wait 5 minutes then discard the water. Put the warm bowl over the butter.
- Put the butter in the oven with the light turned on. This will take a few hours.
- This Ridiculously Easy Chocolate Chip Shortbread is heavenly when it comes out of the oven but because it’s quite thick, it won’t be crisp all the way through. I like to turn off the oven when the shortbread is done baking, let it cool in the pan for 20 minutes then flip it out onto a cutting board and cut it into 12 wedges. I transfer the wedges to a sheet pan and pop the pan back into the oven until it’s completely cooled down. Voila! Deliciously crisp shortbread, all the way through!
- I’ve found that it’s much easier to press the dough into the pan if I dip my fingers in flour from time to time.
- 您可以使用一个9英寸蛋糕烤盘a 9-10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. I love using the tart pan as it makes such a pretty presentation (like the shortbread pictured in the post).
- 如果你使用一个9 -inch cake pan, be sure to spray the pan well with baking spray and line it with a circle of parchment paper so it will be easy to remove from the pan. I love these pre-cut circles of parchment. They save lots of time and fuss.
Thought for the day:
Some trust in chariots
and some in horses,
but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.
but we rise up and stand firm.
What we’re listening to for inspiration:
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review! It’s so helpful to other readers to hear your results, adaptations and ideas for variations.
If you've got 15 minutes, that's all it takes to stir up a batch of this Ridiculously Easy Chocolate Chip Shortbread. It's sweet, buttery and, in addition to being ridiculously easy, it's also ridiculously delicious!
- 1cupvery soft butter
- ¼cupgranulated sugar
- ½teaspoonkosher salt
- 2cupsall-purpose flour
- 1cupmini chocolate chips
- 1tablespoonsanding sugarDemerara, Turbinado or regular granulated sugar
Preheat the oven to 350. Generously spray a 9-inch round cake pan or a tart pan (9 or 10 inches) with a removable bottom with baking spray. If using a cake pan, line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper. Set aside. If using a tart pan, line a sheet pan with foil and set it aside.
Combine soft butter, sugars, vanilla and salt in a medium-large bowl. Stir for about 30 seconds until nice and creamy.
Add the flour and cornstarch. Stir with a sturdy spatula or wooden spoon until all of the flour is incorporated and the dough starts to come together. Stir in the chocolate chips and mix until the chips are evenly incorporated.
If using a tart pan with a removable bottom, place it on the prepared sheet pan (sometimes a little butter may leak out) and place the sheet pan on the center oven rack. If using a round cake pan, place it right on the center rack. Bake for 25-35 minutes until nicely golden brown. Check frequently towards the end of baking time. You want it to be a pretty golden brown but not overbaked.
关掉烤箱,允许酥饼很酷on a cooling rack for 20 minutes in the pan. Invert the shortbread onto a flat plate. Place another plate on top and invert again so the sugared side is up.
Slide the shortbread onto a cutting board and sprinkle with a bit more sugar, if desired. Cut it into 12 wedges
You can enjoy the shortbread right away but for really crispy shortbread, transfer the wedges to a sheet pan and place in the oven (still turned off). Allow the shortbread to cool completely in the oven then store in an airtight container.
See Café Tips above in the post for more detailed instructions and tips.