The minute the calendar flips from February to March, my mind always starts roaming to the land of leprechauns. In a culinary sense, that is. The calendar turnover reminds me that the Irish celebration of St. Patrick’s Day is on the near horizon. Am I Irish? Nope, but I guess you could call me a wanna-be Irish gal. Because I love the idea of celebrating the Emerald Isle’s patron saint and really enjoy coming up with new recipes to make March 17th fun and festive. These delicious Leprechaun Shortbread Bites are my ode to St. Patrick’s 2021!
The recipe couldn’t be easier; just combine softened butter with sugar and blend well. Add a splash of almond and vanilla extracts and enough green food coloring to yield your desired hue. Then add flour and stir until the mixture is crumbly and the flour is well incorporated. Pour it into a foil-lined pan and press the dough firmly into the pan. Refrigerate to firm up the butter for 10 minutes then remove the dough from the pan and cut it into squares. Refrigerate again for at least 30 minutes. Bake, then try to hold off snitching one or two until they’re cooled. So delicious, so fun!
If you’d like a free printable PDF for these labels and instructions on how to use them, just leave us a little note in the comment section below. We’ll email you the PDF. All you have to do is double click on the PDF icon which will bring up the PDF reader on your computer. You will then have an option to print the labels. If you don’t have a home printer, you can take the PDF to any office or printing store and have them printed there.
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner! Put on some Irish music, make a batch of these super easy Leprechaun Shortbread Bites and start celebrating!
- Another technique I often use to soften butter is to put it in the microwave for 30 minutes to an hour with the light on. To keep the light on in the microwave I put a folded paper towel in the door. Don’t leave it in there too long though. I forgot about it a few days ago and was amazed when I opened the door and found a plate of melted butter!
- 煮一杯水3 - 4 minut微波es and get things nice and steamy. Leave the water cup in the microwave, add the butter and close the door. The warmth from the steamy water will help to quickly soften the butter within 20-30 minutes.
- These Leprechaun Shortbread Bites make a delicious and easy dessert served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of this最好的糖果酱或这个Mint Basil Syrup（与绿色主题保持）。
- As mentioned above these delicious shortbread cookies make a really fun gift. I like to put them in a little玻璃纸治疗包然后把袋子塞进其中一个pretty gift boxes。添加一个标签（见上文），你有一个令人愉快的礼物，任何人都会爱，爱尔兰人！
- I use a bit of绿色gel food color对于leprechaun脆饼叮咬以及绿色,white和少数人粉红色的极品。别针k is not a traditional St. Patrick’s day color but I think they add a touch of magic. And, in combination with the green shortbread and green and white nonpareils, there is a reminisce of Irish hillsides dotted with wildflowers in springtime.
- Normally, I love to line my sheet pans with parchment paper for easy clean up, however, it seems that skipping the parchment with this recipe helps the dough to spread less in the oven.
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
even there your hand will guide me,
What we’re listening to for inspiration:
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review! It’s so helpful to other readers to hear your results, adaptations and ideas for variations.
- ¼茶匙almond extract
- ½茶匙vanilla extract.
- 绿色food color凝胶或液体
- 2 ½杯多用途面粉
Heat oven to 325°F. Line 9-inch square baking pan with foil, leaving a 1-inch overhang on 2 sides. Spray the foil and sides of the pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Combine butter, sugar and extracts in a large bowl. Stir until creamy and well combined. Add the green food color, a little at a time until the desired color is achieved.
Transfer the dough to the prepared pan and pat it to an even layer. I like to use a flat bottom glass or a metal hamburger spatula to help pat and even out the dough. Sprinkle reserved nonpareils evenly over the top and press gently to help them stay in place.
Refrigerate for 10 minutes then use the foil to lift the dough from the pan onto a cutting surface. Cut the dough into 1-inch squares. Place squares 1-inch apart onto 2 ungreased cookie sheets; discard foil.
Recipe adapted from湖泊湖。